Thursday, January 28, 2010

Welcome to the Class of 2012, I think...

Today was my first day back to school as a full-time adult student. I was surprised how young the other students seem to be. Actually, I was surprised at how old I felt next to them!

The English/Food Writing class that I had at Baruch today is what drew me back into school in the first place. I was considering taking a Gotham Writers Workshop class and got the idea to check CUNY first, since I needed credits toward my incomplete degree anyway and I figured financial aid would likely cover the cost. I found this particular class via a Google search and felt really encouraged to see what else was out there in the world of accessible academia.

I’m in a special program called the CUNY Baccalaureate for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies which allows me to be more independent than a traditional student. I can take classes at any CUNY campus in the entire city, and with the help of my mentor, the requirements for my major are self-selected. My concentration is Sustainable Food Studies. This makes sense since I already spend most of my free time working on or reading about food related stuff, cooking and eating. This is what my Spring semester looks like: English/Food Writing; Environmental Ethics; Community Organizing; Video Production; and a Religion class that covers food traditions.

1 comment: